Friday, 18 September 2026

 

Well, that idea has gone down the tubes. I really wanted to migrate from Google/Meta over to Proton, but my Protonmail account was closed after just two days--and why, I have no idea. I didn't have anything to do with any of their other systems (like the cloud, which I had looked forward to using). I didn't upload/download anything to myself or anyone else.  The only thing I engaged in was transferring various existing, online accounts over to the Protonmail address. For whatever reason... that's the reply that I got. Bastards. Luckily, all but two of my accounts were able to switch back to Gmail. I had to delete the Reddit account, which (like Instagram) is only there to access the site and see other people's input; that just required deleting and re-signing up, this time with a different username and password just in case someone at Protonmail tries to access the old one. I'm currently waiting to see if Archive.org will let me switch my email back, as it's generally against their policy, otherwise I might have to delete that one, too.

Archive.org has a lot of my uploaded materials on it which I'd hate to lose. By comparison, Reddit had only one post about the dear, departed Quo Vadis Theatre (I deleted the others). Reddit is just not any more appealing than any other social media site.

It turned out to be a rougher morning than I needed. I did the dishes, did some cleaning up, went to refill the dog's water... and ended up with a gallon and a half of water on the floor. The gravity water feeder "snaps" together on one end, only this time, it didn't; I even tried it a second time, over the sink, and it failed again. When I went to pull the table out of the water, the clasps underneath the tabletop (for inserting a leaf) gave way, and everything on the table either fell over or fell off or fell into the center--including dirt from one of the cacti plants. So, it being 9:40 a.m. and with Mother about to come back from church, I had to hurry up, move everything out of the way that I could, throw some towels down and contain the mess to one side of the kitchen, then dry off the floor by the back door and put as many items back as I could before she walked in. For whatever reason, she refuses to go around and use the front door regardless of the circumstances in the kitchen.

She's also not been functioning on all cylinders lately, so she didn't/couldn't help me clean up as much as she could get in the way and o things without thinking ahead (like picking up the wet towels without first bringing something to carry them in--I went and got an old bed sheet, or she'd have dripped water and dirt in a line to the back room). I no sooner got that fixed than I noticed that Buddy had started to scratch again, so I gave him a quick bath and had her get a towel and dry him off while I vacuumed the floor again. I suspect that there are flea eggs around and maybe larvae, because I haven't seen any more of the critters for a few days but he's still itchy.

All this activity made me about ten minutes late for my chiropractic appointment, which is never good on a veteran's nerves and didn't turn out to be the adjustment that I'd been looking forward to, as I had two ribs out--one, just because, and the second that he accidentally popped out while pushing down on my spine. Hey, it happens. Hypermobility is a bitch. Anyway, the second one hurt like hell, but he put them both back into place and I recovered. Afterwards, I went and got an oil change which turned into good news, as the price dropped $15 (because I use Group III and/or a Group III/Group IV synthetic) while everyone else in the country is freaking out about oil availability. Total: $113.48. Still pricey, but necessary.

Since Mother forgot to buy a curtain rod during her last trip to Meijer's, I did it. She likes to put the winter curtains up to block the open window-wall between the living room and the kitchen, to keep the heat in the living room better, except that old pole got bent last year and we needed a new one. So, I went and got this. I could've spent $9 on a thinner brushed nickel pole but I spent $15 on a more decorative one and because "the hooks we have are brass." They're not. However, this did come with three matching gold-colored hooks, so the hooks can be swapped out at some point to match the new rod. Luckily, the old hooks are not visible, and the odds are that Mother won't even notice until next year.