Sunday, 6 September 2026

 

I went to the drive-in last night for the John Hughes double feature: "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "The Breakfast Club." (This was "Bob," someone's skeleton friend, seated between them on their zero-gravity chairs with 50/50 tickets in his hand.) The temperature eventually dropped into the high 50s, but I'd brought my own zero-gravity chair and pillow with me, then layered up with a blanket, a bath towel, a windbreaker, and a raincoat, and felt quite cozy... and unbothered by bugs.

This time, I thought to bring a Walkman in order to hear the films better. I used to have one of these years ago, back in Norfolk in 1993 and 1994 (older, smaller, and all black), and I bought this a few years ago because I enjoyed the compactness of it; it's a serviceable unit but a bit touchy (scratchy) after years of use. The people parked next to me brought a portable speaker with them, to enhance the rather crappy speaker under the movie screen, but they left after the first film.

Well, I emptied out the tent and packed it up again. It took some effort and, quite frankly, I think that I'm over the whole tent thing. I've listed it on Facebook Marketplace to try and sell it for $75, which hopefully gets some people's interests. I might've been better off listing it last weekend, prior to Labor Day weekend.

No trash day tomorrow since it's Labor Day, so any plans to get rid of anything else, like the used Suncast box, will have to wait until Wednesday. The big thing up this way is the Mackinac Bridge walk, which I've always wanted to try sometime or other, but which is reportedly an all-day affair with an incredibly big traffic headache.