Thursday, 8 October 2026
Someone left a Boyds Bears plush bunny at the transfer station which, interestingly enough, I can't seem to find anywhere online to give it a proper name, so it's just kind of a "gardener bunny" listing. I suppose that I could list it for higher than the $21 Buy It Now that I've got on it, but it'd just be nice to sell the thing and move on with $10 or whatever it brings in after shipping and fees. This isn't a LEGO collectible; it's a niche item for a specific type of collector, and one that it'll just be lucky to find a home with.
Not much going on today, other than recovering from yesterday's adventures in Marquette. Buddy seems to be more energetic and insisted on another walk this morning. I'm trying to get him to take some joint supplements but he seems to have rejected the allegedly delectable chewable outright, which means it'll have to be mashed up and hidden into his food for consumption. At least it's fairly soft, unlike the Nexguard stuff, which is a bear to break into pieces.
It's Halloween decorating time again. I pulled out Mother's two blow molds from the shed before we cut the lawn, then brought out a timer and a power cord today to light them up with. Hopefully, the timer works--it's a stake timer that I picked up at a yard sale in Gladstone a few weeks ago. We've got a few other minor decorations, but those are the big ones. There's no pressing need to win a decorating contest, or to create some kind of front yard motif, or otherwise make a big to-do over the holiday... though if I had the money to do so, yer darn tootin' that I would. It's about a four-hour window of receiving trick-or-treaters, then that's it. Lights go off. Decorations go away the following day (or even after dark, if I'm so inclined).
In the process, I got stung twice on my right leg by the same wasp or hornet or whatever it is. At least I'm not allergic. They're crawling around these days as their system slowly shuts down from the cold weather. Buddy stepped on one that got him in the paw pad, and Mother suspects she might've done the same and gotten stung on her little toe.
Mother buys snack chips to distribute on Halloween. Usually, she'll spring for a variety pack with Cheetos, Doritos, Fritos and the like, but this year she seems set on getting Better Maid. Whatever. For the past couple of years, I've been up at the school and distributing chips from the front lawn of the old school, which is where everyone drives by. There are a few "neighborhood" areas but a lot of this area is rural and requires some kind of transportation. You walk, you miss out on the good stuff.